· Search
· Your_Account

Google Ads

TweakForce VIPs
Make donations with PayPal!

©
VIP Members

Google
 Forum FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

another upgrade question
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TweakForce Forum Index -> Hardware - Software Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Boogie30
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:27 pm    Post subject: another upgrade question Reply with quote

Hi
Sorry for another upgrade question. there are many of them around on the web Laughing
As you can see in my sig im still on my old corei5 2400 cpu.
There is not much i can do in form of OC. i raised the multiplier as much as i could on this non K chip, so its sitting around 3.7-3.8ghz.

Im mostly using this pc for gaming,twitch,websurfing not for work.
Would it be worth to upgrade to corei5 6600k or is there not that much of a difference in performance even Oced to 4ghz+ that is worth the money as i will have to change MB and ram aswell. (cooler is h60i which i can use again on skylake MB from what corsair says)

Searching around on google gives me posts where people ask/compare 2500k to 6600K where they dont think its worth the upgrade. But not the non K sandy chips.These days playing something and watching twitch my cpu is close to 100% most of the time. Usually graphics in games i play are set on max or very high on my oced 970 but still im usually below/around 45-50fps most of the time.

And since my cpu is close to 100% i get hickups/stutter in games. The worst are latest ubi games (AC,FC,Division) where cpu is constantly on 100% usage (not watching twitch while testing), but knowing ubi is usually bad optimization. As i live in Dk where prices are usually high im sitting here and thinking if its worth my money.
inmani
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd suggest tweaking a Nvidia Inspector global profile.

AA Behavior Flags: None
AA Mode: Override any application setting
AA Setting: AA_MODE_METHOD_FREE_0x03 (nfc, but liked it's performance)
AA Transparency SS: 4x Sparse Grid Supersampling (performance/IQ)
Predefined FXAA usage: Allowed
FXAA Indicator: Off
Toggle FXAA: On

AF: 4x (sweetspot) more didn't appreciably do much and less was worse IQ
TF LOD bias: sharpens image I recommend between -3 and -1.5.

You can gain a reasonable amount of performance with minimal IQ trade offs defiantly better than cranking MFAA and going overkill on AF provides. Sparse Grid Supersampling when setup right for me helped a lot and negated a lot of the need for MFAA. If you want a big less aliasing crank up SGAA to 8x though you may need to lower LOD bias a little to compensate and offset for some of the minor increased blur of the process method entails.
WormKing
Hardcore Member
Hardcore Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

in my opinion it wont make much of a difference.
Maybe 15-20% ?

You can additionally crank the fsb up to 103-105 aswell.
thats another 100mhz.

Get a I7 or a real sixcore for multitasking but i dont think its worth the money for a i5 dieshrink Upgrade yet.

and yeah... ubisoft ports simply suck hard.
WormKing
Hardcore Member
Hardcore Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe 15-20% ?

thats another 100mhz.

Get a I7 or a real sixcore for multitasking but i dont think its worth the money for a i5 dieshrink Upgrade yet.

Boogie30
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

inmani wrote:
I'd suggest tweaking a Nvidia Inspector global profile.

AA Behavior Flags: None
AA Mode: Override any application setting
AA Setting: AA_MODE_METHOD_FREE_0x03 (nfc, but liked it's performance)
AA Transparency SS: 4x Sparse Grid Supersampling (performance/IQ)
Predefined FXAA usage: Allowed
FXAA Indicator: Off
Toggle FXAA: On

AF: 4x (sweetspot) more didn't appreciably do much and less was worse IQ
TF LOD bias: sharpens image I recommend between -3 and -1.5.

You can gain a reasonable amount of performance with minimal IQ trade offs defiantly better than cranking MFAA and going overkill on AF provides. Sparse Grid Supersampling when setup right for me helped a lot and negated a lot of the need for MFAA. If you want a big less aliasing crank up SGAA to 8x though you may need to lower LOD bias a little to compensate and offset for some of the minor increased blur of the process method entails.

Sorry for the late response forgot about the thread. I tried to play around with inspector but didnt see much of a difference in games, and in division got weird lines on some clothing. so i ended with going lower on graphics at least in division and live with the little blurry overall textures and world and fps around 48-88 depends on location. I guess its ubi that cant optimise games for pc anymore and its weird as console have almost same architecture now as a pc.
Boogie30
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WormKing wrote:
Maybe 15-20% ?

thats another 100mhz.

I wish that last time when i upgraded my pc, that i went with something better then 2400. But its too late now and shops around me and on the web dont have the old cpu anymore.
I can still get 4xxx and up but not sandy. And if 1 or 2 shops still have i7 or i5 from SB familly (usually it says not in stock atm), prices are the same as newest skylake cpus.
I could always try to buy a used one,but im not a fan of it, as i dont know what the man was doing with it and how hard he was pushing it everyday.
If i wanted to upgrade to skylake i would have to use around 500-600usd for the upgrade with the prices here (and since the new gtx1070 gpu sound nice its another 400+), so its almost like a new pc.
Maybe i should wait, as you say its not worth it yet, and see what intel comes with next time after skylake. And upgrade then, as my cousin would love to take over my old stuff,when i decide to upgrade.

Another little thing do you think my i5 2400 cpu will start to bottleneck an gtx1070 if i wanted to buy it at some point? I know the card isnt out yet but since its more powerfull then titan as nvidia says and my cpu so old now?
WormKing
Hardcore Member
Hardcore Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boogie30 wrote:
WormKing wrote:
Maybe 15-20% ?

thats another 100mhz.

I wish that last time when i upgraded my pc, that i went with something better then 2400. But its too late now and shops around me and on the web dont have the old cpu anymore.
I can still get 4xxx and up but not sandy. And if 1 or 2 shops still have i7 or i5 from SB familly (usually it says not in stock atm), prices are the same as newest skylake cpus.
I could always try to buy a used one,but im not a fan of it, as i dont know what the man was doing with it and how hard he was pushing it everyday.
If i wanted to upgrade to skylake i would have to use around 500-600usd for the upgrade with the prices here (and since the new gtx1070 gpu sound nice its another 400+), so its almost like a new pc.
Maybe i should wait, as you say its not worth it yet, and see what intel comes with next time after skylake. And upgrade then, as my cousin would love to take over my old stuff,when i decide to upgrade.

Another little thing do you think my i5 2400 cpu will start to bottleneck an gtx1070 if i wanted to buy it at some point? I know the card isnt out yet but since its more powerfull then titan as nvidia says and my cpu so old now?

i think this cpu was a good choice and still performs pretty decent in terms of gaming Performance. You prlly expect way too much from an upgrade.
Your shitty Ports must be boring AF when you look at Cpu Load or Fps when you have decent smoth Gameplay already. 48-88 is far from being not enjoyable. Razz

I wouldnt do it.
Same Tech with minor improvements and a Die Shrink.

Expect 5-10% at the same Clocks for Gaming.
Maybe next Gen will be more worth it.

https://youtu.be/4sx1kLGVAF0?t=5m15s

http://www.pcgamer.com/intel-skylake-i7-6700k-tested-a-smart-upgrade-despite-small-gaming-gains/

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/Skylake-vs-Sandy-Bridge-Discrete-GPU-Showdown/Grand-Theft-Auto-V

Do whatever you want or simply start to enjoy these shitty ports at already decent framerates lol.
Boogie30
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah you are probably right that i expect to much from an upgrade. Looking at the links you added and reading, looks like its not worth it atm.
I think i do as you say, wait and see next gen what they come with but i doubt it will be a giant leap forward in performance. So maybe i should just save the money for gtx 1070 or even 1080 this year. If its true what nvidia says its much better then my 970. But i wait for benchmarks and decide then.

I reinstalled windows 10 last weekend and most of the games perform nicely just latest ubi titles are crap, cpu constantly on around 100% cpu usage so performance goes down, so i cant fx: watch twitch or something else as it freezes the video. No issues with other games even on max settings. I can play and watch or do something else on other screen. Good thing i wasted money only on division and ac syndicate, and syndicate was half price anyway or even lower when i got it.

I know 40fps isnt that bad. I think i should just enjoy it as it is,and look at the reviews on the new gtx when they arrive and see if gpu upgrade is worth it instead. Honestly only ubi games and other ports are full of issues with perfromance.
SCAVENGER1
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just this christmas i did an upgrade and went full x99 with
Core i7 5820k @ 4.3ghz
Gigabyte GA-X99 UD3P
Gigabyte GTX 980 ti G1 6gb ram
Corsair Vengeance DDR4 LPX 2666mhz 2 x 8gb
EVGA G2 -1000 watt

the gpu and psu i did 6 month before hand. but i do play division right now the most. and yes it is the only game i have ever seen . run all 6 cpu core around the 50 - 60% and gpu right @ 98% the full time i am playing.

i use this program called "CAM" it shows you what you really need to know about your system, far as temps and usage goes beside all of the other stuff.

https://camwebapp.com/

just hope some time soon i will be able to update my sigg with my new build.

Thermaltake Kandalf LCS
Intel Core i7 5820k @ 4.3ghz
Gigabyte GA-X99 UD3P
EVGA G2 -1000 watt
WIN7 Ult 64bit- Mushkin SSD 120gb/ WD 2 x 1Terabyte /WD640 2 x 640GB/
ASUS 23" 1080P IPS LED (VS239H)
WormKing
Hardcore Member
Hardcore Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SCAVENGER1 wrote:
just this christmas i did an upgrade and went full x99 with
Core i7 5820k @ 4.3ghz
Gigabyte GA-X99 UD3P
EVGA G2 -1000 watt

the gpu and psu i did 6 month before hand. but i do play division right now the most. and yes it is the only game i have ever seen . run all 6 cpu core around the 50 - 60% and gpu right @ 98% the full time i am playing.

i use this program called "CAM" it shows you what you really need to know about your system, far as temps and usage goes beside all of the other stuff.

https://camwebapp.com/

just hope some time soon i will be able to update my sigg with my new build.

Thermaltake Kandalf LCS
Intel Core i7 5820k @ 4.3ghz
Gigabyte GA-X99 UD3P
EVGA G2 -1000 watt
WIN7 Ult 64bit- Mushkin SSD 120gb/ WD 2 x 1Terabyte /WD640 2 x 640GB/
ASUS 23" 1080P IPS LED (VS239H)

Thats already a full GPU Bottleneck right there.

I dont know how good this scales with Cpu Cores but it looks like an AMD x8 is also able to run the game pretty well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mfVgixKXVc

i3 Dualcore with SMT looks good overall but gives you random Framedrops all the Time because of the Lack of real Cores.
Same for the x6 amd.

http://media.bestofmicro.com/A/H/565433/gallery/10-CPU-Limitation-High-End_w_600.png

http://media.bestofmicro.com/A/I/565434/gallery/11-CPU-Limitation-Mid-Class_w_600.png

So i think an amd 8370 would be a "cheap" upgrade to get better Paralell Processing Power and enough Cpu Power for these types of shitty Ports
but i wouldnt upgrade to that aswell cause your old i5 mostly outperforms the 8 module cpu also.

its just cheaper and better in terms of Multithreads.
Boogie30
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@WormKing
Yeah and that will cost me a new mobo too if i wanteed to go amd. I think i wait for next intel cpu and see. Maybe save money on pascal gpu instead, but lets see what reviews etc says about them.

@SCAVENGER1

So im not only one where it almost max out on cores. Even the amd video wormking posted using all cores on 80-90% most of the time.
Im only doing dailies and weekly missions in division.Dont spent much time in incursion, challange mission, and DZ at all. As i dont have anyone to play with my RL friends dont play it. And the last few weeks there been so many exploiters and cheaters in both incursion and DZ i didnt wanted to go there and if i did go DZ for the weekly usually die in one shot. Dont know how its now since massive fixed few things.
SCAVENGER1
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wormking, what do you mean by "full gpu bottle neck" ? for me i run division maxed out and my fps runs between 80 to 150 fps. but still i dont see no stuttering or pausing in game at all.

it runs wick great on my rig. but yes the gpu sitting at 98% usage is a 1st for me to see let alone. that the all cpu cores are running the same amount all the time.

which by any other game i have that is gpu or cpu hard this is the 1st to use them all . i do plan on getting a mx2 ssd 500gb or 1tb so i can put the few games i do play all the time on to it and see if they play better. or load faster since they are all on mechanical drives yet. but the prices on them still is to high but they are coming down.
WormKing
Hardcore Member
Hardcore Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SCAVENGER1 wrote:
wormking, what do you mean by "full gpu bottle neck" ? for me i run division maxed out and my fps runs between 80 to 150 fps. but still i dont see no stuttering or pausing in game at all.

it runs wick great on my rig. but yes the gpu sitting at 98% usage is a 1st for me to see let alone. that the all cpu cores are running the same amount all the time.

which by any other game i have that is gpu or cpu hard this is the 1st to use them all . i do plan on getting a mx2 ssd 500gb or 1tb so i can put the few games i do play all the time on to it and see if they play better. or load faster since they are all on mechanical drives yet. but the prices on them still is to high but they are coming down.

That simply means:
Your GPU is the limiting factor here.
and thats by Far lol.

That CPU is a beast.

You prlly need a 2nd Card or an upgrade to new gen to bring it to its knees.

Dont wanna hurt your feelings Scav.
its kinda overpowered for a single Card atm but i think its pretty futureproof on the other Hand.
Thats a good thing.

@ Boogie30
To be fair its mostly arround 70%s

So it would be better multithread performance vs better FPS per Mhz on the i5.

So i think the amd and your i5 should be pretty much on par.
Thats why i wouldnt do it ether.

But its Cheap.
Even with a mobo.
FX-8350 8x 4.00GHz is arround 140 euros with hitman coupon here.
SCAVENGER1
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aw ok, well im not sure if i want to bet another 980 ti g1 since they are not cheap and i dont want to replace it since i just got it last summer. but i dont get any problems at all playing division or even either metro 2033.. and i play them both maxed out and they run and looks like a blue ray !!
WormKing
Hardcore Member
Hardcore Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SCAVENGER1 wrote:
aw ok, well im not sure if i want to bet another 980 ti g1 since they are not cheap and i dont want to replace it since i just got it last summer. but i dont get any problems at all playing division or even either metro 2033.. and i play them both maxed out and they run and looks like a blue ray !!

FYI:
Blue rays run at 23,976 FPS. Twisted Evil
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YK5G_b8k3y4&feature=youtu.be&t=16s
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TweakForce Forum Index -> Hardware - Software Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: