· 5: Xtreme-G 185.81 XP32
· 6: Xtreme-G 190.62m Win7/Vista32
· 7: Xtreme-G 195.62 Win7/Vista64
· 8: Xtreme-G 195.62 XP32
· 9: XG 11.2 Mobility Win7 Vista 64bit
· 10: Xtreme-G 190.62m Win7/Vista64

Google Ads

Google
 Forum FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

ATTO Disk Benchmark 74GB Raptor w/Supercache +works for SSD

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TweakForce Forum Index -> Benchmarks - OverClocking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
inmani
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:50 am    Post subject: ATTO Disk Benchmark 74GB Raptor w/Supercache +works for SSD Reply with quote

Supercache with 512-1GB worth of RAM can improve the read speeds on a SSD and HD by unreal amounts for ATTO Disk Benchmark. HD's still suffer from the problem of access times, but SSD's don't have that problem. Also write speeds can be improved a lot as well if you turn on differed-write mode and suspend lazy writes, but a UPS is pretty much required for that or you risk losing data if you have a power outage not sure if that applies for SSD's though since they are non volatile.

For the best results 128-256KB cache page size and 512MB-1024MB cache size is ideal on a HD. For SSD's I found 64KB cache page size to be optimal with 352MB cache size ideal on the 32GB SSD I tested.

Oddly it only seems to help ATTO Disk Benchmark, but HDTune it doesn't appear to effect, but I'm not sure why that is. It's peculiar since RAMDISK's work with HDTune and supercache is basically a hybrid of a HD/SSD and RAMDISK kind of like these WD HD's are a hybrid of a HD and SSD.

Last edited by inmani on Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
inmani
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For reference in the picture differed-write mode and lazy writes weren't turned on in that comparison because that test was using a 74GB raptor and I don't have a working UPS right now so not gonna risk turning that on for continuous use for that drive, but I could have turned it on for the test and write times would have substantially improved as well.

Here's one of a SSD I tested using it which had those settings on I figure since SSD's are non volatile it might not matter about the UPS for them with those settings though not 100% certain on that I'll probably find out later through testing eventually though.

Anyway as you can see the write speeds and read speeds are through the roof in this test with Supercache and it was only using 352MB worth of system RAM. The SSD used was a ADATA 32GB rated at 230MB READ/60MBWRITE.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TweakForce Forum Index -> Benchmarks - OverClocking All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: