· Search
· Your_Account

Google Ads

TweakForce VIPs
Make donations with PayPal!

©
VIP Members

Google
 Forum FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

OpenDNS.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Any one else using this wonderful tool?
Yes
44%
 44%  [ 8 ]
No
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
Never Heard of it
27%
 27%  [ 5 ]
Getting it Now?
11%
 11%  [ 2 ]
What does it do?
11%
 11%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 18

Sycuss
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:08 pm    Post subject: OpenDNS. Reply with quote

I just thought i might share how to get a better, securer net connection through using OpenDNS.

http://www.opendns.com/

Games are much less laggy, and most importantly it automatically Blocks Conficker from invading ur PC.

Any one else using this wonderful tool?

For parents u can block genres of sites to specific computers in the house. or all of the computers in the house. Not needed here where i live just the brainless additional security helps me out.

THE BEST PART ITS A FREE SERVICE.
blitz00
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got it going and its really a very good. I thought it would slow things down but no interference that i notice.
Starbuck
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah got it running on all devices over here, my laptop, wii and xbox360. It doesn't interfere and it provides just a little bit of extra security afaik. Smile
WormKing
Hardcore Member
Hardcore Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i"m open minded, so i will test it soon.

edit: happy with it Smile -> keeper here !!! ty Sycuss
Keysersose
WebMaster
WebMaster

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:51 pm    Post subject: OpenDNS Concept "in a nut" Reply with quote

it's a matter of who you trust to provide you with up2date Valid Legitimate IP addresses and routing information for the name or host you have requested.

the hour of my life i gave it tested faster in it's provided routes and the added filtering DNS side is a great control for parents. But over all it comes down to if you are paranoid about where all those 01001001 are going as they funnel from your computer into that little box on your desk. It's also a headache for troubleshooting when something just doesn't act right Wink

In a blanket home network scenario the DNS would be programed in on the Router's WAN side with the LAN side clients DHCP signing the router as the DNS server. Or leave the Router's config default and manually reassign the DNS host in the network adapter on each client.

It was a few months ago i "field tested" it, but i do remember it acting as a proxy based interface. ie. would not allow dslreports.com/whois. making the screen shots is firing some old cranial electrons.

i give it a 4 out of 5

The top of the image is all pixed just 4 u Bop! Muhahahahaaaa FIX IT!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
elitejavi
Hardcore Member
Hardcore Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can you guys explain me why the response time is faster?
that i don't understand...
Starbuck
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

afaik, this could be the reason why response times are better:

Normally you are automatically given a DNS from your ISP, but if that server is somewhat slower or has a lot of requests to endure it could become slower. OpenDNS uses different servers for it's DNS handling which explains the difference in speed. (For better or worse).

In my case it doesn't really matter to be honest, couple of ms, but the extra security gained from using OpenDNS is more than enough reason for me... apart from it being free of course Wink
DocWalt
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one issue keeping me from using OpenDNS, and that's AIM. It's stupid ad program can't handle not using the default DNS services, and crashes AIM. Stupid...
Sycuss
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

umm i use aim... and it works fine on OpenDNS... LOL
brose4636
Hardcore Member
Hardcore Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone know how to setup everything else on your router through open dns?
because my ps3 can't use it and my laptop can't use it.
everything seems to be only for the main desktop pc.
i have no idea why it won't work on my network, since i have the router setup to goto open dns. and everything runs off of the router that is wireless.
thanks
elitejavi
Hardcore Member
Hardcore Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starbuck wrote:
afaik, this could be the reason why response times are better:

Normally you are automatically given a DNS from your ISP, but if that server is somewhat slower or has a lot of requests to endure it could become slower. OpenDNS uses different servers for it's DNS handling which explains the difference in speed. (For better or worse).

In my case it doesn't really matter to be honest, couple of ms, but the extra security gained from using OpenDNS is more than enough reason for me... apart from it being free of course Wink

hmmm... instresting, may be worth a try...
does it work worldwide?

it could work really well for me, i mean my ISP is royal shit.
Starbuck
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quote from their website: 'More than 3 million people are now using OpenDNS worldwide' I'd say it should work. Smile

On the other hand, why not give it a try? If it doesn't work, just revert your settings and you're done. Smile
GOZ
TF Admin
TF Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starbuck wrote:
A quote from their website: 'More than 3 million people are now using OpenDNS worldwide' I'd say it should work. Smile

On the other hand, why not give it a try? If it doesn't work, just revert your settings and you're done. Smile

AH yes I reverted mine and it still use's them.............I emailed them they just revert back,and it shows your using us still....

I only changed my router.............. now I'm stuck with them so I got to call them to figure it out.

See how they make there money is you type something wrong in the address bar like noob.coms they redirect you to there page with suggestions, Those suggestions are paying OpenDNS money to be on that page.

To me its a different way of spamming IMHO

So I'm getting rid of it ASAP calling them up and telling them to loose my fucking IP
Sycuss
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GOZ wrote:
Starbuck wrote:

AH yes I reverted mine and it still use's them.............I emailed them they just revert back,and it shows your using us still....

I only changed my router.............. now I'm stuck with them so I got to call them to figure it out.

See how they make there money is you type something wrong in the address bar like noob.coms they redirect you to there page with suggestions, Those suggestions are paying OpenDNS money to be on that page.

So I'm getting rid of it ASAP calling them up and telling them to loose my fucking IP

did u make an account? via their web site. i can type noob.com and get a yahoo search on it. how secure is urs set up if u have an account. i am only letting them stopping phishing from happining.
GOZ
TF Admin
TF Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sycuss wrote:
GOZ wrote:
Starbuck wrote:

did u make an account? via their web site. i can type noob.com and get a yahoo search on it. how secure is urs set up if u have an account. i am only letting them stopping phishing from happining.

Thats the thing I couldn't use any thing online as my ISP is goofy.........
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TweakForce Forum Index -> Open Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: