· Search
· Your_Account

Google Ads

TweakForce VIPs
Make donations with PayPal!

©
VIP Members

Google
 Forum FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

XP Readyboost???
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TweakForce Forum Index -> Hardware - Software Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Does this work???
Yes
37%
 37%  [ 3 ]
No
62%
 62%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 8

Keysersose
WebMaster
WebMaster

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:43 pm    Post subject: XP Readyboost??? Reply with quote

http://cnettv.cnet.com/2001-1_53-50004761.html

I had no idea it was that simple!!!

Last edited by Keysersose on Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
WormKing
Hardcore Member
Hardcore Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont think this will work like readyboost (saving drive cache files on a hd)
or superfench ( storing much needed files in ram).
this is just a swap file on a slow usb stick instead a faster hd. imao only old computer with a hyperslow hd and 128-256mb ram will benefit from that.

so my op: he is a n00b ! not you btw^^

if you want readyboost in xp : http://www.tweakforce.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=2770&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=
Mattavich
Hardcore Member
Hardcore Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just buy vista instead
Keysersose
WebMaster
WebMaster

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HAHA Surprised He said "Buy"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
WormKing
Hardcore Member
Hardcore Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HAHA Surprised He said "Vista"
masterfaster
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For ReadyBoost and Prefetching in Windows XP there is a good shareware tool called eBoostr. I tried a version "from uncle sam" (you know what I mean) to test it fully and see if it works, before buying it. I used a 4GB USB stick and after experiencing with it and testing it, I saw a difference in some cases. But the whole ReadyBoost thing is overestimated. Having ReadyBoost in Windows XP will need you to buy eBoostr and a ReadyBoost capable 4GB USB stick. The positive thing with eBoostr is that you can use more than 2 USB sticks, e.g. using 4 x 4GB ReadyBoost verified USB sticks may increase the speed. The downside of all this is that it doesn't worth the money, it is very expensive. It would be a lot faster and cheaper to buy real RAM, or a second HD to have them in RAID0.
Keysersose
WebMaster
WebMaster

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone seen/tried the eSATA Memory sticks in these applications yet? should be a hell of alot faster than slow @ss USB.
Sycuss
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish i could but Esata does not work in vista 64bit at all for me.
masterfaster
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Sycuss you have 8GB of RAM, what ReadyBoost can do to your system? Nothing.

Buy 2 identical HDs and create RAID0. Now that's a speed difference.
Sycuss
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

masterfaster wrote:
@Sycuss you have 8GB of RAM, what ReadyBoost can do to your system? Nothing.

Buy 2 identical HDs and create RAID0. Now that's a speed difference.

I do have a XP machine with 4 gigs of DDR 500 ram and ready boost helps it alot.

yes a Raid0 set up would be nice but i have never set a raid any thing up. i am not looking for more speed with loading times etc. thats what the 8gigs of ram is for.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Umm!@!@! Excuse me i was talking about Esata not functioning in vista 64bit. I still what the Esata Stick for storage.

Like u just mentioned I have 8 gigs of ram and your wrong when it comes to RENDERING 3d Animation EVERY THING helps.......

Right now i really wished i had 8 more gigs of ram on a second system with the same specs so i could render more at the same time.

Using Ebooster with a fast HDD has made my rendering go almost twice as fast.

It does not help that i am using ray tracing for this rendering either. my CPU ussage is 100% on all four cores. and my memory is at 96%.

Thanks (Masterfaster) for your BIASED opinion that Readyboost is useless on a system with 8 gigs of ram...

It is useless for 32bit GAMES. not for a 64bit application called maya that can well use over 128gigs of ram doing a single render.

But for Gaming Yes it would be pure insanity.

I have been rendering for the past 2 weeks and its getting to me its TAKING TO DAMN LONG UGH Must Game Noaw.......
adrichardson

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I'll have you know that Readyboost consistently gives me a 1fps boost in Crysis Razz I'd never argue RB is an alternative to a memory upgrade, but it still helps to improve responsiveness.

@ Sycuss - raid0 should imprive write speeds in Maya pretty impressively
masterfaster
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sycuss Read carefully my post.

What I said is true. And I said it in a way that I mean clearly that it is better to buy 2nd HD or more RAM, than buying software and usb or esata sticks. We talk about money and were someone should spend it. The question that came from the first post is: I want to spend some money to increase the speed of my WinXP system. What should I buy? The answer is obvious: more RAM and RAID0 are the keys. ReadyBoost is equal or more expensive and doesn't give that much speed improvement. Take notice that eBoostr Pro costs $39 or 29, plus you need to buy a fast and ReadyBoost approved usb memory 4GB stick.

Also Sycuss in your case I suggested you to buy a 2nd HD to create a RAID0 system. That will give you performance.

Also 3D rendering software like Maya, benefit a lot if you install hardware acceleration driver/plugin. I remember in the distant past when I tried 3D Studio Max, when I used hardware opengl rendering.

And before you say anything, I never used Maya, so I don't know how it works and how or if it uses hardware acceleration.

Anyway, do whatever you like. After all its your money, not mine.

Happy New Year 2009 to all
SCAVENGER1
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i draw back to the raid, is that the process that is need to keep it up and going. other then that it is easy to set up. since i have done it many a time. all you need to do is. down load the latest driver for it. and 2 set it up in your bios by turning it the option On. and then going threw the rest of the bios to set it up. just follow the mobo manual which does have some info on the how to stuff.
masterfaster
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also RAID0 can be done with more than 2 identical hard disks. it needs 2, 3, 4 or more hard disks. The upside is the increased performance, the downside is that if one hard disk dies then you lose everything. That's why I highly recommend to create RAID0 with Western Digital RAID Edition hard disks or equivalent if you prefer other brand. (5-year warranty at 24h use)
SCAVENGER1
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

masterfaster wrote:
Also RAID0 can be done with more than 2 identical hard disks. it needs 2, 3, 4 or more hard disks. The upside is the increased performance, the downside is that if one hard disk dies then you lose everything. That's why I highly recommend to create RAID0 with Western Digital RAID Edition hard disks or equivalent if you prefer other brand. (5-year warranty at 24h use)

Seagate all so has the 5yr warranty as well. which i have most of. and i know they stand behind there drives. since i have done it about 3 times so far. i have the 4th 1 that died on me sitting here.

i just have to much info to send it in yet. the 400gig drive has 370+ on it and it will cost me $890 to get the info off of it. since they told me ECC they are the one i sent it to.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TweakForce Forum Index -> Hardware - Software Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: