· Search
· Your_Account

Google Ads

TweakForce VIPs
Make donations with PayPal!

©
VIP Members

Google
 Forum FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

WD VelociRaptor!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TweakForce Forum Index -> Hardware - Software Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Hot or not?
Smokin' Hot
92%
 92%  [ 13 ]
eh!
7%
 7%  [ 1 ]
Not
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 14

vläd
TF Admin
TF Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:24 am    Post subject: WD VelociRaptor! Reply with quote

Western Digital has announced the apparent successor to the infamous Raptor, the VelociRaptor!

This is a 300GB 2.5" drive mounted in a heatsink to allow for 3.5" installation. Here is Western Digital's page on the VelociRaptor.

Now before you dismiss this "little" drive, you may want to look over HotHardware's review

"Although they've been relatively quiet on the enthusiast front for quite a while, the Velociraptor proves Western Digital still knows how to produce high performance products for power users. From a performance standpoint, at least for now, the WD Velociraptor its quiet simply in a league of its own."

Unfortunately, this little speed demon is going to set you back about $1 per GB.
Semp
TF Admin
TF Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember reading something about a 30% performance increase over the old raptor drives....my vote: SMOKIN HOT!
Steve30x
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 2 Western Digital HDD's in my rig and im not one bit impressed with them. Both of them are SATA II but they only have a speen of 127mb/s for the 250GB HDD and 153 mb/s for the 500GB drive. I had 2 seagate HDD's in my previous rig and both had a speed rate of 270mb/s and it showed with load times in everything I done. I notice how much slower both my WD HDD's are compared to the Seagate HDD's are. Before anybody asks I did check to make sure the HDDSare running without any jumpers so that they run at SATA II Speeds.

But still I think this Veloceraptor is smoking hot and I might save up for one instead of going with RAID. The thing runs at 10000RPM with super fast access speeds. Where could you go wrong.
Sycuss
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want this soooo bad 2 for a raid set up. hahaha two 100 gig drives for 200 cant beat that and the performance.
vläd
TF Admin
TF Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm itchin to try one out myself, but no stock anywhere and no ETAs listed. It may be 30 days or more before it becomes reality.
Sycuss
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that just means more time to save up LOLS.. perhaps more for a bigger drive ehh... I wonder why they went with the 2.5 form factor Hdd. Thats like WTF could they have made a 15000 rpm 3.5 hdd sata2.... then thats a major wtf
Steve30x
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont that HDD will be available until the end of may. Also I think they with 2.5" because of the cooling system they have on it. I am seriously thinking of picking up one once its not more than 300 euro. I know its a stupid price for a 300 gig HDd but if its realy that fast then it will be worth it.
austenn
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2.5" at 10,000 rpm will be faster than a 3.5" at 10,000 rpm casue the platter is smaller and thus has less disatnce for the head to rtavel. Personally for a single hard drive, 300gb is ok, but i think its a little big. When you think about raid 0'ing these for an OS drive, that 600gb in size, WAY TO BIG........
adrichardson

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right - 300gb is a bit of an odd choice. I'd have gone for 2 models - 160gb for raid (or if you just want a fast drive for your OS), and a 500gb for storage/games.

I know it's a big ask, but I don't suppose they've made it any quieter?

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HD-209-WD&groupid=701&catid=14&subcat=768 £211.49?! I maybe crazy, but I'm not that crazy!
Steve30x
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive read a review and they said that even though on paper the acoustic noise is the same but in reality its faster and a lot quieter
vläd
TF Admin
TF Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the 150GB Raptor started with a price around $280. That's close to double the price of the VelociRaptor if you calculate the $$ per GB.
adrichardson

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think price per gb was a lot higher back then anyway... Storage is definitely a lot cheaper these days Razz
blitz00
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cant wait to get one, my 2 raptors are smokin now 30% improvement with the new velociraptors is pretty impressive.
vläd
TF Admin
TF Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the 300GB VelociRaptor is now in stock at Newegg.

Western Digital was listing a 150GB version as well, but apparently, it has now been removed from their site.

!@#$%^!
I really wanted a 150GB for a boot drive and the 300 for a game drive!
adrichardson

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now there's a setup that would have pwnt... 300gb isn't bad, but you run into the old 'os on the same drive as your games' issue. It's only just big enough for a games drive now, but total overkill for an OS drive.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TweakForce Forum Index -> Hardware - Software Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: