· Search
· Your_Account

Google Ads

TweakForce VIPs
Make donations with PayPal!

©
VIP Members

Google
 Forum FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

Raid question. Please answer.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TweakForce Forum Index -> Hardware - Software Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Is Raid worth it? Is the speed difference worth it?
Yes RAID is worth it and the speed difference is worth it
75%
 75%  [ 6 ]
Yes RAID is worth it but the speed difference isnt worth it
25%
 25%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 8

Steve30x
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:33 am    Post subject: Raid question. Please answer. Reply with quote

To those of you who use Raid or know about raid I would like to know is it worth buying 2 HDD's to do RAID0? Can I install the raid driver (Windows install F6) through a pen drive? or can I start raid from windows itself? Anything I need to know before doing raid?

I was thinking of buying 2 of Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 250GB SATA2 16MB 7200RPM and running them in RAID0. I know the performance difference isnt record breaking and it isnt that much faster but any increase in loading speed is good. I have the money to order the HDD's today but I dont want to order 2 HDD's if its not realy worth it. I do need to replace my main HDD though because its starting to fail already.

I have been reading posts in other forums about RAID0 but the posts I found in other forums are 4 years old.

So any help in this would be well appreciated.
vläd
TF Admin
TF Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO, it really depends on what you would define as "worth it".

When the 36GB Raptors were the only 10,000 RPM SATA drives available, I did some benches with configuring a RAID 0. Unfortunately, I didn't keep the bench results. Embarassed

The best results were when I configured three identical hard drives. Two drives showed some improvement during benches, but three drives you could tell even before benching.
Steve30x
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I say is it worth it I mean would I be better off buying a bigger HDD than doing RAID and is it worth buying 2 hdds to do raid? I was thinking of buying a WD RAPTOR but the 150gig HDD is fairly pricey. I have the money for the Raptor but I am in two minds wether to buy one or not.
Ban_Midou
Hardcore Member
Hardcore Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a RAID setup for more than two years now, and IMO, I can tell you that the difference IS worth it. I'll never go back so a single drive OS install, my other two single drives are for storage, backup and pagefile.
I have screens at home with benchies. I'll post them later. Even when I upgraded my mobo 3 times and then I benched again, the number were even bigger. Very Happy

You can't use a pen drive to install RAID drivers for a fresh XP install. A floppy drive is your only choise... although I've read once about a workaround to install the drivers without the use of a floppy drive...
Steve30x
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a brand new floppy drive but its not in my case or connected up. If I decide to go with raid I will connect it up just for the driver install. Thanks for your feedback guys. The more I hear about raid the more I am tempted to buy 2 HDD's to go with raid.
Semp
TF Admin
TF Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO Raid is only 'worth it' when you have 3 drives or more. The performance gain with 2 drives is minimal.
Steve30x
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said any little bit of performance I gain is a good thing even if its very minimal.
SCAVENGER1
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i have had raid 0 at 2 different times. and both time i still really did not see any real gain, sept for one. and that was when i install software. and that was it nothing more. my games do not play any faster then it was using the same 2 drives as separate. which i have done before.

but if installing software is what you want your high point for your HD then yes raid is good then. other wise if you want it for playing games, then it is not.

also i do not have the super fast driver as stated above, raptors. but i use 2 seagate 250gig sata 150 which i have had for 2 yrs now. and also i am still using in this rig now. in raid 0 format.

i am planing on going back to a non raid set up here soon. then it will be primary for the games and OS and the 2nd as back up and file and such. which is what i would normally run my system as any ways.

i voted on the 2nd one.
adrichardson

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've got to weigh up all the issues.

Getting 2 smaller drives and not raiding will give better performance than buying 1 large drive (as long as you keep your OS and games on different drives). It's not quite as good as raid 0, but at least you're not buggered if a drive dies (remember even if you take an image with ghost and you lose a drive, you've got to start over again).

Raid 0 with 2 drives isn't worth the hassle and risk. 3 drives and I'd say give it a go, but remember there's a potentially bigger risk of a drive dying cos you've got more of them.
SCAVENGER1
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

true, but what other raid are you talking about that could give you any advantage ? other then raid 0? the other raids are different and all. but i do not see the raid 1 as some thing i would do, since having the same exact info on 2 drives in not what i would want. and the other if you have 3 drives.

more old pc that i only used for emails has 2 drives in it. nothing great of them. but it is nice to have my save music and pictures and all of my emails also go to the 2nd drive. for safe keeping.

since i have had big problem in the past when i got a bad virus and it killed everything on the main drive so i had to reformat. which i end up loosing it all. but that was before i started to run 2 drives. now the last time it happen i did not loose any thing. since i save all my stuff on that 2nd drive.

but i think i will do my reformat here soon, maybe this month yet. it has been 6 months since i built this. also i do have a external HD that i save every thing i want, but it is getting very full ATM. lol 400gig drive to boot.
Steve30x
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See thats what I found funny about the articles and reviews I read about Raid0. They warn about the risk of losing a drive and having to start over again with your windows. But the thing is I cant see what the problem is because if I lost my main OS HDD and I only had one single HDD for my OS I'd be even more buggered because I wouldnt have a HDD for my OS. Especially if that HDD died at 8pm in the night. I would have to wait until the next morning to go out and buy a HDD so I can install my OS all over again.

Now I dont know what the risks are of losing a HDD in raid are but if a HDD is more likely to die when two are in RAID then I wont bother. But if the chance of losing a HDD when running RAID is minimal I will still consider it. But with that new Veloceraptor HDD I am thinking might go that route even though its twice the price of doing 2 HDD's in RAID0.

Im not looking for that extra space when I do RAID0. I just picked the two 250 gig HDD'S because theyre the fastest , more up to date cheapest and smallest HDD's thats on Komplett. The other two HDD's that are on there are WD (which I never liked) and Samsung which is very unreliable.

So before I even considered the bad points. With 2 HDD's in raid its faster and on the plus side , if I lose a HDD I will have a secondary HDD to install my OS on. I dont have a problem with starting over with an OS install. Hell I usualy do it once a month anyway.

PS. I have a 500 GIG HDD in my machine with all my games and other neccesary software backed up in it so backing up aint a problem either because I do a backup once a week.
nurface
Hardcore Member
Hardcore Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this link sums it up for you buddy. I run raid 0 with only 2 drives but next go around I will do 3 drives Raid 0. I agree installing OS again isn't a big deal if a hard drive dies. Since you can never predict which drive is going to fail first. I have reinstall OS on single drives after hd failure so no difference. Data is going on a another drive that I want to keep.

http://www.ahinc.com/raid.htm
austenn
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using 2 x 250gb is rather large for raid 0 for an OS. What people mainly mean about loosing data, is IF you use ya raid'ed hard drives fro storage. Seeing u will have around 500gb, thats way to big for an OS, and then if u use that extra space for storage, you run the risk of loosing it. You'd be better off getting 2x80gb hard drives and raid 0 them. You NEVER want to use 2 hard drives in raid 0 for storage.

Above adr (i think this is waht he was saying) that you cant make an image of a raid system then insatll it on a single hard drive later??? if i read this correct, ill say that ive done this many times.....ive never had an issue doing this....but his to his own.

You just gotta be smart with raid 0, you use it for the OS and thats it, everything else should be on a single hard.
Steve30x
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

austenn wrote:
Using 2 x 250gb is rather large for raid 0 for an OS. What people mainly mean about loosing data, is IF you use ya raid'ed hard drives fro storage. Seeing u will have around 500gb, thats way to big for an OS, and then if u use that extra space for storage, you run the risk of loosing it. You'd be better off getting 2x80gb hard drives and raid 0 them. You NEVER want to use 2 hard drives in raid 0 for storage.

Above adr (i think this is waht he was saying) that you cant make an image of a raid system then insatll it on a single hard drive later??? if i read this correct, ill say that ive done this many times.....ive never had an issue doing this....but his to his own.

You just gotta be smart with raid 0, you use it for the OS and thats it, everything else should be on a single hard.

Quote:
Im not looking for that extra space when I do RAID0. I just picked the two 250 gig HDD'S because theyre the fastest , more up to date cheapest and smallest HDD's thats on Komplett. The other two HDD's that are on there are WD (which I never liked) and Samsung which is very unreliable.

I dont think you read my post that I posted the above quote now did you? The smallest HDDS in the SATA range they have at komplett is 160GIG Heres a link to the site for proof. I am not going to shop online elsewhere.

http://www.komplett.ie/k/kl.aspx?mfr=&bn=10096&sortBy=p&minprice=&maxPrice=&zbo2=false
adrichardson

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about raid 0 for a games hdd? Is it worth it, or would you get more benefit from using it for your os?

I thought the problem with restoring an image on raid is that it won't work on a different array?

RAID0 doesn't necessarily make drives more likely to fail in itself, but each hdd has a cerain % chance of failing. The more drives you use, the more likely that one is going to fail (eg if the odds are 1 in 10 and you have 10 drives, 1 it's a pretty safe bet that one's going to fail). That said, as long as you stick to a decent brand (like Seagate), the odds of drive dying are pretty slim.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TweakForce Forum Index -> Hardware - Software Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: