· Search
· Your_Account

Google Ads

TweakForce VIPs
Make donations with PayPal!

©
VIP Members

Google
 Forum FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

Vista or XP
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Vista Or XP
Vista
34%
 34%  [ 9 ]
XP
65%
 65%  [ 17 ]
Total Votes : 26

e30Birdy
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:46 am    Post subject: Vista or XP Reply with quote

Okay i got Vista running at the moment (Home Premium 64bit) and you can see my Machine in my sig! But i really dont know i am not too happy with it just seems like its a buggy POS OS, i just had way less probs with stuff in xp

just wanted to hear other peoples thoughts about it, i know with 4gb ram vista is supposed to be the way to go but i am thinking of swapping back to my 32bit XP setup and not worrying about the half a gig of mem i lose!
am
Hardcore Member
Hardcore Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep them both and dual boot.
e30Birdy
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well then i might aswell reformat and unraid my drives and use one for xp and one for vista
adrichardson

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, definitely dual boot. Partition both drives though. Put your vista games and docs on the same hdd as XP (os), and your xp docs etc on the vista os drive. That'll give you the best performance with 2 drives.

Don't get me wrong - I like Vista and use it 99% of the time on this rig, but when it starts messing around it can really be a bitch. It's really handy to have XP around as a backup (or if you want to test something that might nuke Vista (it's not a forgiving OS). Not to mention XP SP3 allegedly bringing a 15% performance boost Razz
e30Birdy
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to be honest ad i am really hating Vista, having a lot of probs!

Firefox is having probs all the time and so on, cant get my mic to work for my x-fi card and so on and i really dont mind losing .5 gb or ram! I heard they are already working on a new windows system already
Emile
Donator
Donator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,
I have a Dual Boot XP and Vista
Semp
TF Admin
TF Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man fuck Vista. Stupid Mexican OS.

I'm not sure if you know but Windows Update FUBARD my Vista install. So last night I finally got up the nerve to copy all of my files over and format both of my drives. My intention was to go Vista only and see if m$ had made any improvements with sp1 but I couldn't even get the fucking thing to install. ON A CLEAN FORMATTED DRIVE. After 3 attempts and 3 BSOD's I popped my trusty XP disk in and was up and running in less than 30 minutes.

I know ADR says people give Vista more shit than it deserves but it's pretty sad when Windows Update fucks up the OS and on a cleanly formatted drive it blue screens on a fresh install. I'll be listing a copy of Vista Ultimate 64bit on craigslist shortly.
adrichardson

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which is precisely why XP is still installed on mine, and kept on completely separate drive Razz I like Vista, but I don't trust it - I've had more problems with it than I ever did with XP, but I started using XP well after SP1, so it's probably not a fair comparison.
Semp
TF Admin
TF Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's weird because when I originally had Vista installed by itself it ran "OK" so I though maybe the problems I was having (random lockups, readyboost, windows update, ect.) were possibly from dual booting, don't know why dual booting would cause instability but that was the only thing I had changed. Soooooo that's why I wanted to try Vista as my primary OS again for awhile but it looks like that's not an option for me.

In all fairness I have Vista Home Premium x86 running on the wife's rig with no problems so I dunno man.
e30Birdy
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ja Semp i agree with you i bought 64 bit home premium and am having nothing but probs, this is a home premium with sp1 on it already and its garbage, all my shit keeps crashing and really doing nothing more than pissing me off, i think i am going back to trusty ol xp tomorrow and selling this home premium on Ebay!
am
Hardcore Member
Hardcore Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know about 64bit, but 32bit Vista with SP1 slipstreamed gave me the smoothest, easiest install of all, in under 20 minutes. Flawless from the get go, just configured it to my preferences and that was it. Used latest v-lite prior to the install.
adrichardson

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh, managed to trash my Vista install last night by restoring a dodgy TrueImage backup Sad TI's been nothing but problems since I got it - what do you guys think about Ghost 14? Ghost 12 was great for me, it's a proper PE shell, not some half arsed attempt at a Linux shell with no real driver support.

Either way, that's why dual booting can be a life saver! Got it up and running again, but I'm going to be very careful with it!
Sycuss
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have only had problems with Vista SP1 Vista By its self is wonderfull for my rig. I personally had more problems with XP than 64bit vista. mainly due to foolishness.
wherewolf
Hardcore Member
Hardcore Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't for the world see myself going Vista again for a very long time after a short trial for a couple of days.

I love my XP Pro SP 2. O.k. It lacks DX10 (for what it's worth?) And Vista is more "pretty". But having the OS eating away lots of RAM, All kinds of irritating popup messages making me grind my teeth. And the fact that games are faster in XP. Then I can for sure live with the pretty dull looking XP.

Just hope the SP 3 in Swedish will be out soon. Would be interesting to see if it does anything for the performance. Or if it's more or less, just a collection of updates I allready have thru Windows update?
e30Birdy
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If i go Vista again then its when i get a 400gb hd again and put it in here cause viat is not touching my raid harddrives! Maybe it will be better at sp2 i dont know or maybe it will stay dodgy like x64 win xp you never know, rumor has it that microsoft is already working on a new os cause the number of bought pcs went down drastically due to them having pre installed vista (most users dont buy a pc and then wanna format it and drop good ole xp on it again)

I mean yeah it would be nice to have the extra gig of ram that i paid for but the heart ache it was giving me wasnt worth it so i switched back and am finishing the install atm!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TweakForce Forum Index -> Open Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: