· Search
· Your_Account

Google Ads

TweakForce VIPs
Make donations with PayPal!

©
VIP Members

Google
 Forum FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

Raid question. Please answer.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TweakForce Forum Index -> Hardware - Software Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Is Raid worth it? Is the speed difference worth it?
Yes RAID is worth it and the speed difference is worth it
75%
 75%  [ 6 ]
Yes RAID is worth it but the speed difference isnt worth it
25%
 25%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 8

SCAVENGER1
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ad raid 0 does not do anything to help games run any faster at all. this i know all to well. also yesterday i switch over to XP Pro 64bit SP2 and no raid either any more.
adrichardson

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I'd have thought loading times would be faster in games, at least.
SCAVENGER1
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i to thought that ad, but i never did see any dif in game. just the speed it got installed. or any other software i installed. but now i am no longer a RAID0. just back to having 2 separate HD now. i was going to install XP Pro 32bit SP2 but now since all my games that i have installed work in 64bit, i won't now. ill use it to tore patch and video drivers and such.

also ill have FRAPS put its pictures and video in it now. but i think i will set them both to dynamic though. it is at basic right now on the HD. also i will have my TEMP and TMP folders on it as well. which will help in web speeds to.

but other then that i am happy once again. also on the what if, a HD goes bad. like some one else stated hell if you have 1 HD and it goes bad . you will have to wait to install your OS till the new 1 shows up. atleast with raid you have 2 or more HD there so you can get back up quickly.
Ban_Midou
Hardcore Member
Hardcore Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adrichardson wrote:
Hmm, I'd have thought loading times would be faster in games, at least.

In my case, I have my games on my raid0 setup and the load times increased over having the games on a single drive.
adrichardson

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I thought I'd be taking a performance hit in games by not raiding. That's good to know guys! I was thinking about raiding my 160gb drives when I finally decide to get rid of XP, but I've got a feeling I'll replace it with Windows 7 if they release it any time soon Razz

Totally O/T, but has anyone tried the Samsung F1 drives? A couple of reviews have said they're much faster than other drives, but I'm sceptical as to how much faster they'll be.
SCAVENGER1
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ban did you use the same drives to see if there was a difference? since i have used the same drives, Seagate 250GB Serial ATA HD 7200/8MB/S-ATA-150 which i saw none change in my game speed load times or play. but i did see a lot of errors at times to. back when i had one of those drives go bad on me.

but i prefer to have 2 drives in my pc's any way. since it is nice to have your temp folder on the 2nd one for surfing. that i do see a difference in.
adrichardson

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only time I'd use a single drive now is in a laptop Razz Wouldn't use less than 2 drives, and if I'm dual booting, 3.
Ban_Midou
Hardcore Member
Hardcore Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SCAVENGER1 wrote:
Ban did you use the same drives to see if there was a difference? since i have used the same drives, Seagate 250GB Serial ATA HD 7200/8MB/S-ATA-150 which i saw none change in my game speed load times or play. but i did see a lot of errors at times to. back when i had one of those drives go bad on me.

but i prefer to have 2 drives in my pc's any way. since it is nice to have your temp folder on the 2nd one for surfing. that i do see a difference in.

Yes, I used the same drives to try it but I haven't tried on my other drives with 16MB cache though...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TweakForce Forum Index -> Hardware - Software Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: